Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) is the air quality in and around buildings and structures as…
Ductwork leaks could be seriously reducing the energy efficiency of your heating system, costing you a great deal of money each month in the form of wasted energy. Even worse, if your ducts are leaking, they could be putting you and your loved ones at risk by causing carbon monoxide to backdraft into your home. The best way to eliminate these problems is by sealing leaks in your ductwork.
Over time, as your heating system begins to age, ducts can separate from each other, leaving cracks and openings where air can escape. As a result, when heated or cooled air is blown through your ductwork, it can leak out before it even has a chance to reach your living space. This not only can wind up costing you a lot of money, but it also can make it difficult to maintain a comfortable temperature inside your home.
Additionally, unsealed leaks in your ductwork can lead to a condition known as backdrafting where harmful gases such as carbon monoxide are blown back into your home. This can result in a potentially deadly situation.
To reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning while at the same time saving money, you should seal any leaks in your ductwork. Although it’s possible to seal ductwork leaks yourself, you may want to consider hiring a professional to do the job since ducts can be difficult to access.
Some of the main benefits of duct sealing include:
- Improved Energy Efficiency. Sealing ductwork leaks reduces energy loss.
- A More Comfortable Home. Duct sealing improves comfort by allowing conditioned air to reach its intended destination.
- Better Indoor Air Quality. Sealing cracks and openings in ductwork improves indoor air quality by preventing dust and allergens from entering your duct system.
- Less Environmental Impact. By reducing energy loss, duct sealing can reduce your home’s carbon footprint.
- Improved Safety. Sealing your ducts can help prevent backdrafting, protecting your family from carbon monoxide poisoning.
If you live in the greater Hartford area or Connecticut in general and would like to schedule duct sealing for your home, contact us at Glasco Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about ductwork and other HVAC topics, visit our website.
Glasco Heating & Air Conditioning services South Windsor, Connecticut and the surrounding areas.