Heating and Cooling: 45 percent
- Change the air filters in your furnace and air conditioner at least once every three months, or whenever they get dirty.
- Schedule annual maintenance to keep your HVAC equipment running efficiently.
- Seal and insulate your air ducts.
- Install a programmable thermostat.
- Make sure your house is well-insulated, especially your attic.
- Find and seal air leaks.
- Use ceiling fans to create a wind-chill effect during the summer, reducing the burden on your air conditioner.
Hot Water: 11 percent:
- Insulate your water heater’s hot water storage tank.
- Turn down the thermostat on your hot water heater to 120 degrees or less.
- Take shorter showers, and install low-flow showerheads.
- Insulate your hot water pipes.
Washers and Dryers: 10 percent
- Only run washers and dryers when you have a full load. Larger loads mean fewer loads in the long run.
- Wash clothes in cold water.
- Dry clothes outside on a clothesline when weather permits.
Lighting: 7 percent
- Turn lights off any time you leave a room.
- Replace incandescent light bulbs with more efficient fluorescent bulbs.
- Don’t leave your porch light on all night.
Refrigerators: 6 percent
- Keep your refrigerator and freezer as full as possible.
- Choose an efficient refrigerator. Avoid models with a side-by-side design and freezers with a built-in ice maker.
Household Electronics: 4 percent
- Unplug appliances and electronics when not in use, or use a power strip as a central turn-off point.
- Use the energy-saving mode on your computer.
- If you use faxes, scanners, printers and other similar appliances, consider replacing them with one all-in-one device.
Dishwashers: 2 percent
- Only wash dishes when you a have a full load.
- Avoid using your dishwasher’s special cycles.
If you’d like to learn more about reducing consumption and lowering your energy bills, contact Glasco Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc. We’ve been serving the Greater Hartford area since 1994.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about energy bills and other HVAC topics, visit our website.
Glasco Heating & Air Conditioning services South Windsor, Connecticut and the surrounding areas.